Stuyk

People Wanting to Learn Programming

You want to learn to program but you haven't started, why? What are the difficulties that you've found with programming or working with RAGE?

Gauging mindsets.

It's pain in the as* for me to test something that I made. I have a weak computer and not everything is loading fast.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, blake said:

It's pain in the as* for me to test something that I made. I have a weak computer and not everything is loading fast.

testing in GTA V you mean? if that's the case and if you have a good network you can check out Parsec, even better if you also have a friend with good pc and network. 

Ive started but seem to get no where with it. Lots of information but putting it to rage specifically makes it difficult. Just started a Udemy course to try and learn javascript. I hope the structure is helpful.

Just now, eeriestwalnut55 said:

Ive started but seem to get no where with it. Lots of information but putting it to rage specifically makes it difficult. Just started a Udemy course to try and learn javascript. I hope the structure is helpful.

Takes a bit to get the 'syntax' of programming. Just stick with it for a little bit and always experiment, write your own code, and fiddle with things. Autocomplete programs help you understand syntax.

1 minute ago, eeriestwalnut55 said:

Autocomplete programs?

Visual Studio Code

Webstorm

etc.

One thing that was huge in helping me develop some sense of programming was taking pre-existing scripts (There's plenty of open-source ones here) and messing around with the code and seeing what values change what. There's no use in spending all of your learning time on Udemy / Sololearn and not getting in at least 30% practical practice.

In terms of Rage's functions and javascript specifically, it's mostly muscle memory in terms of learning the syntax and how things operate systematically (Client / Server / Databases) and how they all link together. What really takes you places though, is your ability to problem solve and come up with usable solutions to ideas and then putting that into practice through code.

Other than that, what others have mentioned is that it takes time, you won't be an Alan Turing in a matter of months, but getting the very basics memorized shouldn't take you too long if you dedicate to it, and from my experience that dedication is worth every hour.