Minity

Client-side resource auto deletion

Posted (edited)

So after joining several servers, my client-side resources can get pretty cluttered and take up alot of space. I don't mind delete the folder every one and while, but I think it would be pretty helpful if your client auto-deleted files that were no longer used by servers.

Say I join my server hosted locally and it has a client-side map file. When I join it and the server has it, it auto-downloads. Now if I decide to get rid of it on the server, it should delete it client-side as well instead of just storing it when it isn't being used. 

Edited by Minity
  • Like 2

Well, the main problem is at that moment, where You just don't require some resource that weights a lot, for instance - some testing purposes.
This resource will not be used anymore and will be removed, what makes You download it once again.

It's on You to empty client-side resources that are no longer in use.

5 hours ago, Shaviq said:

Well, the main problem is at that moment, where You just don't require some resource that weights a lot, for instance - some testing purposes.
This resource will not be used anymore and will be removed, what makes You download it once again.

It's on You to empty client-side resources that are no longer in use.

He's talking about if a server removed a clientside file, it isn't removed from the users client_resources folder. His post is wanting it so ragemp can remove those files that servers may no longer use which stay in that folder.

E.g. user1 joins a server and downloads a file called test.js, the server then goes and deletes that file from the server, when user1 rejoins the server, user1 will still have that test.js file inside that server folder, even if it is no longer used by the server.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrPancakers said:

He's talking about if a server removed a clientside file, it isn't removed from the users client_resources folder. His post is wanting it so ragemp can remove those files that servers may no longer use which stay in that folder.

E.g. user1 joins a server and downloads a file called test.js, the server then goes and deletes that file from the server, when user1 rejoins the server, user1 will still have that test.js file inside that server folder, even if it is no longer used by the server.

Exactly.

Posted (edited)

Is there a way anyways to access the own cached files? You cannot use filesystem functions on the clients. Is it planned to allow us to write in our own client_packages folder for our server on the clients in future? I would like to load maps dynamically to the clients when they are needed and save them on the clients to not download them every time again...

If we would just get write permissions in that folder for scripts, people could at least take care by theirself to delete not anymore needed files.

And yeah I know about mp.storage - it is just very limited if you want to cache maybe 100 or so maps there because it rewrites the whole JSON completely every time...

Edited by materia