Make EAC an opt-in conf.json setting, and have it optionally launch similar to how the 1.1 & 0.3.7 launcher system worked

Charlie

Since the recent EAC update a fairly decent chunk of players I know on RAGE are facing major performance issues. FPS loss, freezes, game crashes, and textures loading very slowly (sometimes upwards of a minute) are a frequent occurence since this patch even with good hardware specs. Here is footage of my current RAGE:MP gameplay, several of my Discord friends said they also have a similar experience:

Besides this, the server we play on very rarely sees instances of hacking. Bans for hackers are fairly rare and few cases happen. I understand that the system is currently in testing, however, different servers on RAGE may not necessarily benefit from an anticheat besides newer servers that desire an easy, early solution to prevent hacking. Many common hacking issues are easily solved with server-side events that can be used to check for things like weapons being spawned in that were not acquired properly through the server's script.

What I would like to suggest is the ability for server owners to opt-in to EAC through conf.json. If enabled, the RAGE:MP launcher will load EAC, otherwise the game will launch without it. This could follow a similar process as to how connecting to 0.3.7 and 1.1 servers would work, where RAGE launched different launchers depending on the version of the server you connect to. A different launcher would not be needed in this case, simply, the EAC process would either be invoked or not depending on the server-side config.

unknown.png

I understand this system is in testing and is due for improvements, however I believe this would be beneficial for many servers that might not need an anticheat due to existing server side script checks that are implemented.

• Like 9

Does anyone here from RageMP even reply to posts? Seems like no one gives a damn about this matter. My game is almost unplayable since the EAC integration and in the server that I play, you rarely see a hacker, maybe 1 every month. Saying this, I really don't see any advantage of using EAC, as I also can't use my graphics mod now, which made my experience a lot better.

This feature is already planned and will be implemented ASAP according to announcements on discord. But OP argument for this feature is flawed.

Yes EAC has caused performance issues for some people because of other software. But gtaw (which is linked in the OP) is known for using very high resolution textures in their mods. Their modding team do not have proper knowledge of the GTA5/RAGE engine ecosystem which causes space for textures to be loaded in-game to be filled up causing texture loss. It is retarded to use gtaw or any public server as reference for claims of performance issues. Go test on localhost with a minimal script.

But it would be good if ragemp fixes the game pool override feature so players can increase values of certain pools themselves. (It doesn't work right now)

It maybe true that hackers on gtaw are "rare" but it does happen. Most will go undetected. gtaw has a script that takes a screenshot of you screen and sends it to admins but that is useless when there are more harmful cheats than weapon spawners. The screenshot thing is abusable anyway.

It is best for everyone to test EAC regardless if you spend 3 whole years of your life on a single server because you are a roleplayer since no two servers are the same. Most cannot offer the same level of protection as each other. Other languages have a variety of gamemodes so those players play on more than one server.

Testing of EAC should take as much time as it needs because the implementation is not in its final form. It will be better in the long run if you wait. Wanting to rush EAC server flag is like asking for an update to be released without testing only for you to complain a few months later.

2 minutes ago, Chure said:

But OP argument for this feature is flawed.

Yes EAC has caused performance issues for some people because of other software. But gtaw (which is linked in the OP) is known for using very high resolution textures in their mods. Their modding team do not have proper knowledge of the GTA5/RAGE engine ecosystem which causes space for textures to be loaded in-game to be filled up causing texture loss. It is retarded to use gtaw or any public server as reference for claims of performance issues. Go test on localhost with a minimal script.

While many of GTA:W's clientside scripts are far from perfect and some have terrible optimisation, I have played GTAW both prior to the EAC update and after it. The high resolution texture issue you talk about is not significant as their modding team went through and reworked the majority of the textures and reworked them. The performance prior to EAC had a stage where crashes were common but this was rectified months ago and the server was mostly stable until the EAC update.

10 minutes ago, Chure said:

It maybe true that hackers on gtaw are "rare" but it does happen. Most will go undetected.

I'm a former lead admin + senior dev who had access to the ban logs and the level of hacking was not extensive.

12 minutes ago, Chure said:

It will be better in the long run if you wait. Wanting to rush EAC server flag is like asking for an update to be released without testing only for you to complain a few months later.

I agree there's no need to rush it, but equally, this update was released publicly without testing in a similar vein. With 1.1, the update was made available and opt-in, and servers would be able to remain on 0.3.7 and incrementally test 1.1 on their various development servers. This isn't the case with EAC, and the option to opt-out isn't currently available either. Simply, I think it would be reasonable for opt-in to be made available as other major changes like 1.1 have been in the past.

Server owners should have the ability to choose to opt-in or out of Easy Anti-Cheat at any time, at least until it's been more extensively worked on. Improving security on RageMP is great for the platform as a whole, but server owners should also have the right and ability to work on their own security infrastructure as they please. Easy Anti-Cheat has introduced a plethora of performance and, well game breaking problems since it's introduction. 

I believe for the health of the RageMP community and the servers that surround it, it should be made as an opt-in and consensual option for server owners. 

• Like 1

EAC should absolutely be optional depending on the type of server, if it's a cops and robbers server with everyone having an aimbot of some kid? Force EAC. If it's just a roleplay server without much need for aimbots anyway, I see no need for devs to rush in and force EAC for everyone.

7 hours ago, RandomCoincidence said:

Maybe we should finish features before forcing a broken half-developed piece of software on people that breaks the game? It's already been bypassed by hackers anyway so what's the point?

It was tested with a small group before being pushed and it worked, so the next step was trying to get a bigger group (the whole community in this case)

Most of the people around here used free cheats, that's the main reason of adding this anticheat. There will always be people breaking every single piece of software, but that's not a valid reason to keep RAGE without any protection plus those are paid cheats, so fewer people will have access to them.

On 2/25/2022 at 12:45 AM, Xabi said:

EAC was forced with testing purposes (just take 1.1 as example, there were few volunteer servers) and will be optional when the server API comes (also disabled for localhost)

Any updates? It's been a whole month of testing when the dev said he will finish it in a week and whitelist ENB files asap.