Sign in to follow this  
Kar

What's up with the communication of the linux binaries?

Posted (edited)

Ok.

So the windows server comes updated with the client. That's fine, cool idea and everything but can we have a link to the linux binaries on the website or something?

Yes I understand that I can just go to https://wiki.rage.mp/index.php?title=Getting_Started_with_Server and find the line where it has the link

# Downloading server
wget https://cdn.rage.mp/lin/ragemp-srv-037.tar.gz

Because of this auto server updating with client thing, sometimes I forget to realise when the server is also updated with it. Then I don't realise the linux binaries need updating till days or even weeks after. It's kind of annoying how updates are done here tbh. Literally everybody and their children releases windows + linux binaries separate these days. It's just annoying that I always have to find that link to get the latest linux binaries... Can something be done about this...

For example in after the whole DDoS thing, today I realised the server binaries were updated, I checked #announcements and it was just in april the DDoS warning message, may 5th was a 7k peak message and may 8th was something about some services downtime but based on the linux binaries the last update was may 4th?

Like what? Also the launcher literally opens so fast sometimes you don't even notice a client update. No announcement, sometimes missing the launcher updates, not noticing windows server binary date changes... how are we supposed to know if we aren't 100% integrated into the discord chat?

Edited by Kar
  • Like 5

Makes absolute sense to have it more visible, yes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Makes sense indeed, yes.

But what I would prefer more, is a better overview of all release candidates.

It would be great if we get a simple page with all released versions and their regarding OS releases. According to that, it would be great to have a recommended and stable section there, though.

Take the cURL release page as an example: https://curl.haxx.se/download.html .

There we have the current recommended version of cURL and its various platform release candidates. Furthermore, we have PGP-signatures for the regarding releases to check, whether a package is valid. Though, the release page of cURL is more complicated than it would be for RageMP for sure.
Moreover, in the download section @ cURL we can search for older releases, if there is a need to (https://curl.haxx.se/download/).
Technically it even can be just a simple Apache 2 server, where developers can search for the fitting release - like the cURL mirror.

All in all, a simple web server containing the latest releases would be great. Besides that, a simple web server with its builds isn't that complicated to manage (note that I do not know how currently builds are released).

Hopefully this conversation achieves something in the future.

Edited by TheMysteriousVincent

Linux (also C# API Runtime dependencies and separated Windows) server updater is actually a planned thing which can sort all that issues mentioned.

11 hours ago, Kar said:

Like what? Also the launcher literally opens so fast sometimes you don't even notice a client update. No announcement, sometimes missing the launcher updates, not noticing windows server binary date changes... how are we supposed to know if we aren't 100% integrated into the discord chat?

Latest client updates were either misc fixes or security and antichest improvements so it didn't have a separate public version number and changelog. That shouldn't happen with updates that *have* to be versioned.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ragempdev said:

Latest client updates were either misc fixes or security and antichest improvements so it didn't have a separate public version number and changelog. That shouldn't happen with updates that *have* to be versioned.

Ah I was putting the point out as the client updated, the server binaries updates and nobody noticed.

Well thanks, as long as its planned cus rn its a bit annoying

• Like 1